Improving lives on a daily basis, the St. John Ambulance therapy dog program brings joy and comfort to the sick, lonely and those who need a friendly visit.
Therapy dog services are provided in a wide range of community settings such as:
- Seniors residences and care facilities
- Schools, universities and colleges
- Community centres and libraries
The therapy dog program provides an opportunity for individuals to:
- Talk with the volunteer and the dog
- Feel, touch, pet and cuddle the dog
- Receive unconditional love from the dog
- Carry-out or practice an activity in the presence of the dog
The program offers many benefits, improving quality of lives. Some of the reported benefits include:
- Greater social engagement with individuals/residents talking more, participating more in activities, and smiling more
- Stress relief and distraction from pain
- Comfort and calming
- Improved self-confidence and esteem
Interested in joining? Contact us for more information!